View Single Post
      05-10-2021, 04:37 PM   #6
saxman42
Rep
Drives: 2018 340 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCee View Post
I do think Comfort mode is soft, but I've had a # of passengers in the car tell me how great the car seems to ride. Part of that may be the roominess of the back seat.

If I nitpick the car I would like to see a driving mode between Comfort and Sport. Comfort is a bit too slow and plush for my tastes while Sport could be firmer still, but seems too sporty for my regular commute.

I thought about making some mods to firm it up, but I can't see spending the money it would probably take to do that.
Did you drive the standard suspension? I get the impression it's in between sport and comfort like you're saying, but I haven't been able to drive one with adaptive suspension, so I can't say for sure.

Did you order your car new? If so, what options did you have to choose to get adaptive suspension? Was it an M Sport Package add on or Dynamic Handling Package?

Quote:
Originally Posted by exE36M3 View Post
If you plan on *staying* stock on your suspension, maybe consider it.
But personally, don't burn too much energy on the adaptive suspension option.

I've got it on my 2015 435i paired with the Dinan Shockware (which basically moves sport into comfort and then bumps sport REALLY stiff.)

I caveat stock because I've tried using springs with the adaptive suspension (factory) as well as the Dinan Shockware.
The car just doesn't recover or respond as well even with a mild drop of .8". Think wheels hitting the fender insides at 80+mph.
It's great/fine on paved roads... like a track... with no road changes, or these things _– (BAM!) or fast rollies.

But harsh pavement, uneven roads, freeway undulations... it's useless.
And that's where I drive 99% of the time.

After a year, I'm back at the stock height and I'd daresay the car handles better now and the Dinan shockware (sport) eliminates the bobs and even under HARD 80+mph road changes, where it would bottom out, there's a nice resistance.

That all being said, if I could do it again, it's skip the adaptive and go with a good set of springs and adjustable shocks / coil-overs with adjustable shocks. You can lower if you want and then adjust the shocks according, which is what the adaptive just can't do.

Good to hear. I bet the GT in general has a little more room for being lowered without issues, but I can see the adaptive suspension not liking it at all. I'm not sure if I would upgrade to aftermarket suspension later or not. This will be a daily driver first and a fun car second, so I'm hesitant to go too stiff.
Appreciate 0