United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgarcia View Post
RSnic

Again I appreciate your time to provide with a really detailed explanation of all points in our discussions.

If I am allowed a summary see and check I got it all right:

Flickering is covered by means of resistors (built in or hooked in)...I still need to find out if mine are built in (i hope since the parts I bought are retrofitted, --retrofit is a new word to me and I hope I am understanding it right... an OEM part intended for an upgrade) since I have a complete housing and the leds (if not built in then I am not getting the proper understanding of the retrofit concept)....anyways I wanted the full housing replacement not only the leds.

Finally having resolved the variant of current still need to deal with the car checks (3 in total) ...and here comes my real challege: getting required software and hardware to do the coding and secondly getting the actual codes for this particular job...

I think I will still be asking questions here and there for a while...then I can move on to the screen upgrade feeling much safer....

Final question...Is it safe if I install these fog leds now ? or shall I waint until I have all set in place...

Thanks,
alexgarcia ,

You have almost correct.

If you are just changing bulbs, then that is what you are doing -- period. If, however, you are changing the reflective housing, then you are doing a retrofit.

As others have pointed out, just changing either Foglights or Headlights from incandescent to LEDs is not really all that good because the original housing is designed to reflect & focus the incandescent bulb.

I personally agree with them. That is why, though LED bulbs are terrific, I have only changed out turn signals and back up lights -- BUT, as the saying goes to each their own!

As to whether installing LEDs and later doing the coding is safe, please see my earlier post as to what I did with my rear turn signals. I installed yellow LEDs with built in resistors and didn't code them for several days -- they flickered, due to both types of checks (at start up, cold, and periodically, warm check)

Feel free to continue to ask questions -- that what I like about this forum; I have learned a great deal from people asking and others answering!

Again, hope that helps!

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 1