View Single Post
      04-25-2018, 08:16 PM   #31
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

OK I did this yesterday and took some pix for you all to get a good idea of how this mod gets done. Thanks to TurboAra for being a pioneer!

Tools
13mm socket
13mm crow foot wrench was helpful
1/2" and 3/8" ratchets, extensions and wobble connectors
Vise grips
Drill with drill bits of 1/8", one size smaller and one size smaller yet
Syringe with tubing, brake fluid

The slave is held on by 2 13mm bolts at 12 and 6. It's tight up there in the tranny tunnel, hence the need for extensions and wobble connectors. I used 1/2" with socket, 3/8" with crow foot. You'll find what works best for you.

Start by removing the lower bolt, then the upper. I found using a crow foot for the lower to be easier. You'll do the upper bolt blind because it's high in the tranny tunnel. Use a long extension and then a wobble with another long extension to get your wrench out of the tunnel.

After the slave is unbolted, clamp the hose with vise grips that have poly tubing fitted over the jaws. Or some other means of clamping. Flip up the locking clip on the hard line/hose connection (careful with the clip-it'll fly off) and separate them. Remove the assembly. Flip up the locking clip on the hard line/slave body connection and pull them apart. The hard line should have a conical shaped seal on its end. If not, it's in the slave, so just pull it out and put it on the hard line. Look inside the slave and see a rubber washer and a metal piece with a tiny hole in it below. That's the hole you want to enlarge. I couldn't pick these things out, so I took a small drill bit and went at it. Just like what happened with TurboAra, they will get caught on the bit and then easily removed. Now complete the enlargement of the hole finishing with a 1/8" bit. I held the metal restrictor with pliers while I drilled. Don't hold too tight or you'll bend the flanges.
Last thing - fill a syringe with brake fluid, attach a hose to the syringe and to the drain valve on the slave. Push a lot of brake fluid through the slave to wash out any metal filings from drilling. Close the valve. Replace the metal restrictor and rubber washer, reattach the hard line to the slave and hard line to hose, remove the vise grips. Apply a little grease to the end of the tip at the bellows. Install the slave.
Remove the cap to the brake fluid reservoir and some fluid. Reattach the syringe to the valve, open the valve and backfill the slave. Do it slowly and air will be driven up the line and out the reservoir. Close the valve, check the brake pedal and if OK, adjust the fluid level in the reservoir.
Attached Images

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 9
akgambino271.50
B58 parts477.00
Mouse95.00
kern4174449.50
Remonster824.00
Solidjake945.00
AndrewC198910931.00