drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleE92 View Post
I regret getting xDrive in my car...

I had a RWD vehicle previously with LSD, and it would be a little tough to get going on an incline. In corners it would oversteer at times but was very predictable and easily corrected.

My e92 xDrive understeers unpredictably and seems to react slower than my MB 4MATIC. The suspension tuning has a very floaty feeling. The only real situation it has helped me is getting started on an incline, but that is a pretty rare occurrance in my neck of woods.

My next Bimmer will most likely be RWD.

Basically IMO, "Ultimate Driving Machine" does not apply to non-M xDrive machines. Dunno about X6m and X5m because they have xDrive with torque vectoring.
I think the F30 xdrive with DHP will handle much better than a E9x xdrive when set to stiff, but clearly not as well as RWD. This won't change the unpredictability of the F/R torque appropriation of xdrive though.

I am guessing that if you spend M $$$ on an SUV, you expect much better handling then normal SUV's. The higher clearance probably necessitates more suspension travel, which will increase understeer due to excessive pitch/roll movement. So the active rear diff is probably necessary to make it so you can actually corner aggressively.

OTOH, I don't understand why someone would ever want a sudo-track worthy SUV...I would probably crap my pants taking any turn faster than 60 mph.