03-21-2013, 01:05 PM   #83
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZigmundUK View Post
oh and another contrast I find interesting with UK/US is around auto or manual gearboxes. We've come from a manual culture where only now people are waking up to realise the benefits of auto. And it seems the US is going the other way. But the interesting bit is that as an example the 330d is not even offered in the UK without the sports auto 'box... To me it says something about what the manufacturers think about the abilities of modern gearboxes...
I would guess some of it surrounds what type of roads you drive. My experience in Europe was lots of city driving where MT is probably a pain. Gas is incredibly expensive and lots of super expensive toll roads. Trains are the easier way to go for extended travel. Whereas out here in the states everyone lives so far from city centers in the burbs, leading to work commutes of 40+ min.

Edit: US is not going the way of MT...many car companies are starting to no longer offer MT unless you go super ecobox or sports car. Even then, some OEM's don't provide MT. 8sp Autos and DCT's are offering the same if not better MPG as MT, so there is no real economic benefit aside from reduced repair cost.