03-21-2013, 01:20 PM   #86
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medal View Post
I don't know the answer to whether or not "many" people go the coilover route with xdrive...but I know from posts here and from searches online that coilovers and lowering springs are available for xdrive 335s. I haven't decided on how low I will go yet, but my intent is enough to make the 20" HRE's look "right." As always, before I pull the trigger and order everything, i'll have invested time on getting professional opinion from places like Turner Motorsport etc on what the right suspension is to ensure my 3 handles appropriately with both the winter and summer set-ups i plan to run.

I did not go DHP. the auto-335xi i test drove didnt have it and it looked fine (no huge gap between tire and fender) and it handled great as well. Any handling short comings I'll address with aftermarket parts if I think it's that bad.
Nice, I'm interested to hear how it works out for you. Going without DHP was definitely smart, since you'd throw out the dampers anyways for the complete coilovers.

Just thinking waaaayyyy outside the box, but I wonder if it's possible to install an aftermarket driver controlled center differential like the STI comes with. Maybe you could flick a switch and instantly have RWD?