View Single Post
      08-06-2012, 04:39 PM   #40
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchan View Post
Did anyone test drive both 2013 335 and 2013 S4 before making any comment? I test drive both car this Saturday? I been a long time bimmer and made the switch this Saturday based on simple criteria.

Road Noise.

I had Bimmer:
E36
E46 ZHP
07 E92 335
09 E92 335xi.

I can tell you, as i grew older, the road noise coming from my E92 made it sound like a train.... not talking about Muffler or Engine noise.. simple road noise.

Just in general not happy with my e92, so I went to test drive the E30 335i when the BMW was hosting Olympic test drive event.

E30 has the same road noise exhibit in my E92. I can hear the travelling on the road. and also cruise at 60Mph seem to be louder then my E92, which was weird. I should not be hearing engine cruising... or the road at all.. Yet i seem to be picking up all those...

Compare to 2013 S4 test drive an hour before I test drive the E30.

I am at the age that trash talk on which car is faster then which car by 0.5 sec blah blah blah...don't matter...

I am talking about finesse of road drive experience.

2013 S4 id dead quiet inside. Both car test drive with windows closed, AC on, and music off.

S4 is dead quiet. I can talk to wife and kids.. without shouting and not able to hear anything beside hum hum hum from the Car....

E30, i can hear I am traveling on road.. much like my E92. Engine seems to be loud at cruising speed.

anyone else has similar experience with their E or F car?
I agree on the noise inside the F30.
I don't understand why there is so much.
Seems BMW tried too hard in keeping the weight down as the size grew, that they decided to leave out too much sound damping material.
The tire/road noise coming from the rear is something from an economy car over a decade ago.

My sister's new Hyundai Elantra is quieter inside.
In fact, I test drove a number of cars in that class as I shopped for her, and all of them seemed quieter than the F30.

That said, it doesn't bother me that much as I have audio and music playing all the time, and I play it louder than the road/tire noise.
But, if all that noise weren't there in the first place, I wouldn't have to turn it up as loud.

My 135i is quieter than the last F30 328i base I drove just last week.
Yet, the 135i is quieter inside. The so called "entry" level BMW is quieter.
Appreciate 0