View Single Post
      02-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #18
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isow View Post
With the number of potholes proliferating in UK roads, would it be kinder to our cars to have higher profile tyres ?
Or would adaptive suspension be the answer ? I.e. make it standard on Uk BMWs.
I am tired of crashing into potholes on nearly every journey !
Higher profile tyres, yes, + adaptive suspension, yes, + non run-flats, even better.

I know from driving various models of BMW, I just don't get how most drivers can live with the lowest profiles.

I ran 17", non run-flats and selective frequency dampers on my E91 330d, as models with bigger rims, lower profiles and sport suspension just fell apart on poor quality roads, let alone thinking potholes. Things have moved on with BMW suspension and RFTs, but we still have poor roads.

It is why I've kept to 18" on a 5-series, with 45 aspect ratio tyres on 245 section tyres, giving a reasonable sidewall height. For winter I've opted for 17" to get a 55 aspect ratio and even greater sidewall dimension. Winter is when you are likely to get caught out, potholes appear between trips and more driving in poor conditions, water filled holes, or it is dark.

I've kept with RFTs, as I don't want all the hassle I had with non run-flats on the 330d, carrying a spare wheel in the boot space and added risk of being in the wrong place to change a wheel. This time it is tyre insurance and relying on BMW ES if caught out.

Adaptive suspension was a key option, whatever BMW I moved to.

If I was running a 3-series, on RFTs, maximum rim would be 18" with a square setup, no wide rear wheels, as that doesn't help either, when road quality falls apart.

I'm a 'form over fashion' driver, best ride/handling balance I can get, with the widest working envelope.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0