10-08-2018, 10:18 AM   #15
Dinan_Engineering
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksigned View Post
Prove to us that your intake doesn't hold the reputation of your guys' tunes for the B58 platform. I'm just saying...that your guys' reputation has literally gone down the drain (especially after the headaches of those who have actually held their hands up for help with warranty). I'm not trying to pick a fight here, and I WANT TO LIKE YOUR GUYS' PRODUCTS...I mean c'mon...you're essentially the first to make an enclosed intake for this platform (AFE doesn't count )...and it looks beautiful. But can we trust your products to do as advertised???
Ultimately we will have 75 examples in the field to report if what we say can be trusted. Anything coming from my mouth obviously doesn't hold much weight. =)

I can only point to 2 years of development on this intake. We have ridiculous demand for this product and have had that demand for that entire time but we kept tweaking it in order to get it right rather then release a product that was subpar. We want to make money just like any other company but we don't want to rush it if it can be avoided either. And yes, we have taken a bit of a hit to the reputation due to the B58 tuners (2 series specifically) but we are actively trying to resolve those outliers (have (3) 2-Series cars in the shop this week). We have always, and will always, stand behind our products so if it creates an issue we will resolve the problem in one way or another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPenland View Post
Functionally speaking....How is this better (or different - other than the carbon fiber finish) than the AFE - which has been on the market for over a year - they both seem to use the factory bottom half of the air box and pair it with a different top piece and open element filter -

A forum member here just said the AFE wasn't really worth the money - and that was at a price point 50% less than the Dinan

**first 75 units sold out....why?** if the AFE has been an option
We have never tested the AFE option so I can't say what exactly the precise differences may be. Ultimately if the price point is not what you deem acceptable then their other options in the marketplace which is good for the end-user. Generally speaking I find it poor form to compare competing products in a public sphere as it typically comes off as bashing but there are differences (CF and volume being the obvious ones).

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksigned View Post
why is the connecting arm not in CF? does this not defeat the purpose of CF usage to eliminate heat absorption? also, doesn't that dip in the elbow create, to some extent, turbulent air flow?
Connecting arm houses the AMM/AFM which needs to be precise. CF, even when using a mold is still a hand process that has some amount of variation, especially when you are talking about a section where a factory sensor plugs into. An injection molded plastic piece provides that preciseness.

The dip in the elbow is one of the main reasons that the intake took so long to release. Went through at least a dozen variations trying to minimize the disruption to the flow caused by the radiator bracketry that makes that dimple necessary.
Appreciate 8
eksigned139.00
fb5830.00
nikman011174.50
Beek707.00
B58557.50