View Single Post
      04-23-2018, 09:44 AM   #10
Quenga
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i - Melbourne Red

Common misconception about the whole "hardness scale" bs manufacturers are spreading. It really doesn't prevent anything from scratching. It's basically science that marketing uses because the general public doesn't know any better. I bought into almost every single detailing marketing gimmick, but after 10 years of doing this (off and on), I've learned what's real and what's marketing.

Without explaining the science behind it, I tell people this. Water isn't going to cut steel when it comes from your hose, but in a water jet machine, it'll have no problem. A sharp knife can be balanced on your fingertip without cutting you, but let it fall an inch and it'll cut you.

I say this because drying is the real culprit of swirl marks and scratches. People seem to gently wash their car, then dry like they're trying to rub stains out of carpets. It's kind of ridiculous watching people do this, but I've seen lots of "experts" do it. So even though you're using some stupid expensive soft and plush microfiber towel, you can still scratch paint if you don't dry the car properly! This, in my experience, is the #1 cause of swirls, and I'd even say it's tied with improper care of microfiber towels. Bad rinsing is #2, not having a wax/sealant/coating is #3, bad washing is #4. Again... in my experience.

How to prevent swirls:

1. Have a good layer of wax, sealant, coating -- prevents dirt from sticking to paint.
2. Pre-rinse the car, don't just wet it down. Rinsing takes off 99% of dirt (on protected and maintained paint).
3. Use a quality car wash soap, rinseless wash or even water less.
4. Use a drying aid when drying -- spray detailer, spray wax, spray sealant. Spray the towel and the paint.
5. Maintain your towels!!! Wash in "free and clear" detergents or specific microfiber towel cleaners. Add some vinegar to the wash every so often to really break down waxes. Add ammonia to break down sealants (this is a new method I've recently discovered and am testing). And, air dry towels or put them on tumble or the lowest heat setting possible. I tumble mine on low for 10 to 20 minutes, depending on the size of the load, then let them air dry.

I don't use the 2-bucket method, ever, and I can still keep my cars swirl free -- ish. It's gonna happen, the best you can do is prevent it from happening every wash. I used to lightly polish my cars every year, now I touch up areas as accidents happen.