drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medal View Post
Just to add my two cents here:

I just ordered my m sport 335xi on the 7th of this month and I live in New Hampshire, where we have obviously bad winters. My choice was simple: dedicated winter tires and wheels for winter plus xdrive, plus not driving like an idiot, means i'll have no problems next winter. Then, come summer, I'll put my summers wheels and tires on and have a great sport sedan (i got the 6 MT) that for the daily driving I will do, will be more than fun...and...I still plan to mod mine with HRE wheels, coilovers, exhaust etc.

Obviously i'm spending some money here but the point is if you live in a bad winter area and plan to run winter wheels and tires that are separate than your summer set, why not go xdrive? I test drove a xdrive auto before I ordered and the thing handled like a dream...and I have driven my uncle's e90 335i 6MT so I had a something to measure the xdrive against.

Just my opinion....i personally don't think you can lose either way.
Nice, your reasoning is great! It is definitely pretty confidence inspiring to go AWD + snows in winter conditions. Out of curiosity, do many people go the coilover route with xdrive? My understanding was the mechanical xdrive linkage might have problems with a lowered car, but that was just from speculation as to why no drop was on the xdrive. How low are you planning to put it? Do you need adjustable arms or does BMW come with them? I'm guessing you didn't go DHP?