03-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #335
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
Nsquared is correct - the PPK from BMW will be a complete new base flash for the F30 DME, and tunes will add to that base, not completely overwrite it. Hence my comment above about the stacking effect. As we don't really know to what extent the PPK will increase HP and TQ, it'd be better to wait and see. Cobb will need to come up with a new flash that will work with PPK-equipped cars.
Someone smarter than me should chime in, but I think this is a wrong assumption. The PPK is merely adjusting engine parameters, namely boost. Any flash/tune will do the exact same thing, just probably more aggressive. They will not stack. Putting an aftermarket tune on a non PPK car will give you the same gain as putting it on one with the PPK, effectively making getting the PPK and an aftermarket tune a waste.

Unless they decide to release new hardware with the PPK also, but I dont see that happening and any aftermarket hardware would be better.

Only real reason to get the PPK is if you want to be safe with BMW's warranty rather than risking it with an aftermarket tune.
Appreciate 0