Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbol-formerly Mr Helmut View Post
Bizarrely, Japanese Whiskys.

Not a fan of fermented grain mash usually (since parking my dads Volvo in the garage without opening the door at aged 15....another story). But I've found the Oriental mash very nice and am dabbling with different distilleries. I found that a couple dont agree with me (diary reads: 7th Jan 2017, Nikka Yoichi - Dont ever drink again!) but the remainder are very smooth and technically excellent (as you'd expect from Nippon). Its one of those drinks that you try in the right environments and evokes traditional Japanese history (not beheading Burma railway prisoners but honourable families, traditions and the attention to detail) and you feel the need to feng-shui your room prior to sipping.

If I want to get off my tits; Rocket grade cheap Russian Vodka mixed with Redex to give better mpg
Nothing bizarre about that - there are some very fine Japanese whiskies indeed, Yamazaki and Nikka, Suntory's Hibiki expressions are very good, particularly the 17yo.

Have to confess that working in the Whisky industry for almost 30 years makes me a "bit" biased, but you can't beat a good malt at the end of a long week. Or in the middle. Or on a Tuesday morning. Personal favourite is 25yo Highland Park, a rare treat these days, but possibly the finest malt I've ever had. That said, I'd been holding on to a bottle of 1967 Glengoyne in anticipation of the arrival of my first Grandchild; she arrived on Christmas Eve, so there was a very select group of friends and family who shared it on Boxing day, and it didn't disappoint.

Normally have a range of 'crafty' local beers when watching the rugger, a good Sauv for glugging, like a good intense rioja with steak and will happily indulge in any number of gins, though they're all a bit 'samey' for my liking. Very fond of local single variety or single orchard ciders from the south west as well. Perhaps too fond.....
Appreciate 0