View Single Post
      11-01-2018, 08:47 AM   #73
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by qualicas View Post
If BMW used polycarbonate for the chain tensioners, no wonder they break. I own an injection molding business. I would NEVER use Polycarb for an interior engine part. Polycarb is good for impact but bad with chemicals. I would start with nylon 66 at a min and work up from there. Now I am going to check my broken pieces, if it is Polycarb, clearly their engineers did not know their business. As well, if someone came to me to mold those parts in Polycarb, I would not do it. As well, now I will examine the design for sharp inside corners and just bad overall design. You would be surprised what a tiny increase in internal radius can do for strength.
We had company tonight so I did not get to have a look at the car tonight.
Here is where I read it from: https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...g-chains.shtml

"The lawsuit alleges the plastic guide for the timing chain is made with a defective polycarbonate composition that causes the guide to break apart and lodge in the crankshaft drive sprocket, causing the chain to damage the engine."

I remember reading the lawsuit and it goes through this pretty well. This coincides with them changing the composition of the guide following 2014.

As for the warranty claim, I think it'd be a more difficult battle but I think you'd have a chance still. BMW has often fronted the bill either partially or in full for even those outside of warranty. Now, don't get your hopes up thinking they will even do that but know that others have succeeded in circumventing that 20k bill (through the dealership, not 3rd party). Remember, BMW has to prove that your modifications caused the issue in order to deny your claim. So, if you do your research before and go in guns blazing (respectfully and tactfully), then I think you have a good chance IMO.

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 0