Greece
Rep
Drives: F33 435d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSitStill View Post
Hello,

I think I maybe had a smilar thing with my 435d. Now it's running 407hp :-)

When I first got it tuned I got 375hp which was annoyed me a little. Ecotune mentioned at the time they had to take it down a step for whatever reason. Anyway I knew from my last 330d that carbon build up can be bad so I had a look at mine....

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cRLAJq8JY9B9MQhC9

The photos say it all. I did a wallnut blast and cleaned the manifold out with sodium hydroxide.

I then fitted a new ebay wagner copy, performance Air filter and deleted the swirl flaps.

Took it back to get tuned and they said the DPF was clogged so they did a manual forced regen and remapped again under the instructions to get as much out of it as they could within safe limits and I got 407hp with 730nm.

There is a really cool app for out cars now called btool expert (andriod) . Suggest you buy it with a carista Bluetooth adapter (15 quid on amazon). The app will show you some important stuff. Mainly what you want to check is:

1. EGT - should not really see over 400c if its not doing a DPF regen I think. About 550c if its doing a regen.

2.Target boost vs actual boot (this will tell you if there is a boost leak), it's measured in hpa and remember to take away atmosphere pressure (1000hpa). Stage 1 you should see about 3200hpa, stage 1+ 3400hpa

3. Dpf back pressure test. If its outside limits the ecu will start to pull power as I understand

4. Fuel pressure. Our cars should run 2000bar at WOT/full boost as I understand

I'm no expert but that been my experience so far!

I had the DPF off for a while and it's not worth it for the Mot fail/invalid insurance and whistle noise that's really loud!

You can also request a regen with that app. I recently did 5 in a row and got the back pressure lower than I have ever seen. I have an issue with my DPF just now not getting hot enough which I think might be down to a glow plug fault.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Good write-up and info.

I've had some similar experiences with my 30d which is running a DMS map ~345bhp/525lbft).

The inlet ports were pretty fouled at 80K (cylinders 1-3 were much worse than 4-6) as was the IM. I've since had the EGR valve software closed 100% and have installed a catch can to try and reduce oil vapour fouling as much as possible.

Because I had them already I use BimmerCode (which has a very wide of parameters which can be logged) and Carly for DPF spot level monitoring and forced regens if I need to do them.

I find that catalyst (DPF) temps tend to stay <350C in normal driving, ~550C when the DPF is doing a regen, and can be over 600C when the car is being worked hard.

When it comes to carbon build-up in the cylinders and on pistons, heat is our friend. So that, plus running Archoil products in every tank plus intensive treatments every 10K miles, should help to keep those clean.

407bhp is a decent number for a 335d + intercooler.
What intensive products would you suggest?
Appreciate 0