View Single Post
      11-29-2016, 06:58 PM   #23
HKD126
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, 2009 335xi

Thanks for the response. As far as the measurements go, I'm completely aware of needing multiple measurements and averaging. Being that the measurements would vary so greatly between spots, I would have no way to recreate each one without some form of jig to do so. When I do this on concert systems I use about 3-6 mics. I take many traces and do averages to come up with EQ corrections that I apply. Hell, I take it one step further and create target curves for different engineers I work for from different averages I take over the course of working together. This way we can reach their desired outcome quicker, giving them more time to spend on the creative side of things. By correcting one spot in the venue doesn't mean it will translate to the next. The exact same can be said for phase alignment and coherency. At which frequency do you want to align at and where in the room.

This was something extremely basic with the very basic tools available in the car to shape the sound of the system. It was more or less meant as a demonstration with one mic position and how the different settings affected the one position.

I'm also very aware of what the Fletcher Munson curve is. I did not know BMW's did any sort of intended loudness curve, so thank you for clarifying that. Flat or with the EQ I've given it I still think it does a very poor job at this. Especially in the low end. It's quite overpowering at quieter volumes. It's odd how it doesn't adjust the high end to compensate when turned down.

I haven't taken any of that as negative criticism and thank you for the comments! Again, I can't stress enough that my measurements were not to be taken as anything absolute as what's happening in the vehicle. On something so basic as this, at the end, I just trusted my ears.

Last edited by HKD126; 11-29-2016 at 08:03 PM..
Appreciate 0