11-12-2013, 10:23 AM   #20
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
That could be true, but I was on an unlit A road in the middle of nowhere, so I assume it should work!
Will have a play more later....
Unlit A road, no other vehicles - should be both full beam with the most intense focus in the centre - looking like a digital rectangle.

Unlit A road, vehicle ahead, no oncoming. Both full full beam with a tunnel created, adapting to the movement of the car infront and the curves of the road.

Unlit A road, vehicle ahead, oncoming incoming. Full beam and tunnel around the car ahead as above.
Right xenon behaviour: Oncoming detected, right full beam moved further and further right to widen the tunnel to ensure the oncoming car is not being dazzled. Right beam returned to dipped when it cannot move any further right and beam returned to normal straight position, or wherever the adaptive lights want it.
Left xenon behaviour: Full beam maintained. Left side of tunnel for car ahead maintained. May be moved further left depending on road.
Both beams will also adapt to how far or close the car in front is too and will try to just be on the bottom of the bumper. This is with HBA active but not necessarily on high beam, so HBA does do more than just manage high beams.
If you follow at Audi bellend distance, don't be surprised if it throws in the towel and doesn't work.

Unlit A road, no vehicle ahead, oncoming traffic. Full beam until the oncoming is detected (detection up to 1200m). Beam's split to create a tunnel, with the right bulb moving further right as the oncoming vehicle gets closer. As above, when the limit is reached, the right lamp will be dipped and returned to normal position. The left beam will steadily be moving further left and then may suddenly sweep left as the right xenon is dipped to ensure dazzle free!
Both return to high beam with the focus clearly on centre/where the adaptive lights are pointing through a corner.

Overtaking a car ahead on an unlit A road, no oncoming. Full beam as a tunnel. Move right and boot it, left beam will move rapidly left to maintain the tunnel, right beam may move slightly right. Beginning to pass, left beam will move as left as possible then will be dipped and return to normal position. Right full beam is maintained and looks straight ahead.
Alongside (no vehicle visible in front), back to high beam focused where adaptive lights dictate. Straight and centre I would hope if you're overtaking!

*HBA is dependent on speed and will act differently according to speed and what mode the Adaptive Lights have gone into according to speed - i.e. >60mph for 20 seconds activates motorway mode.

** I have seen in a video somewhere of the new generation iDrive (CIC-HIGH) there is an option to activate Dazzle Free HBA rather than the crude on/off of the E-Series generation. This may not have been a UK model though. Not had a play with the new gen Professional Navigaton myself yet, though it was fitted to a 2013 M135i I screwed. However, I was too busy burning petrol.

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0