View Single Post
      05-18-2014, 10:30 AM   #15
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

On the exit off the highway to my street you come to a traffic light with a right turn lane. It's one of those where the the people turning right actually turn into a brand new lane, i.e. the cross street expands from 2 lanes to 3 lanes and the right-turners are the start of the new lane.

The right turn is set up with a ton of room to swing wide so it's not a sharp right. There's one of those pictographic "right turners turn into their own lane" signs. But people coming off the highway kept coming to a full stop anyway. So six months later (I experienced all this as new construction) the traffic engineers installed a permanent right turn green arrow. It's always on, always green. But people kept stopping anyway. So another 6 months later engineers installed a big sign that says "Right turn don't stop". But still people keep coming to a full stop.

Three visual indicators to not stop, but people stop. Now ironically, about 100 feet before all of that is a yield sign where local traffic merges with the offramp traffic and local traffic is supposed to yield. Nobody yields or even slows down, everybody blows through that one (I even had one guy get pissed when I switched lanes in front of him when he had the yield sign). But then everybody stops at the next don't stop/green arrow/keep moving sign.

Go figure.

Last edited by chiefneil; 05-18-2014 at 02:30 PM..
Appreciate 0