View Single Post
      09-08-2019, 03:43 PM   #32
jojo7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
Ok. Super easy. The harness is long enough that it either looks like it would plug into a dedicated connector near the main loom at the bottom of the car, or it would interconnect into the rear door harness.

I went the easy route and just used wire taps after identifying the three wires; I had thought about removing the 3 wires, and reinserting them with the 3 b pillar wires, but in the end I figured they're just little LEDs, a wire splice is more than adequate in this scenario. I don't have the final effect yet, as the dealer sent a beige cover vs. anthracite, but they're sending the correct piece.

** Quick DIY ** NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGE TO YOUR VEHICLE!!! **

On the B Pillar harness that you would order there are three brown wires, look closely at the connector and you'll see 1, 2, 3. Wire #1 is the ground, this would be spliced into the plain brown wire in the door harness. Wire #2 and #3 control the orange or white LEDs, although.. they're all brown so I forgot which one is which. Good news; wire splices are easy to flip around. Next up is the white with red stripe on the door harness; this controls the orange LED. Last is the white with a blue stripe, which controls the white LED. All 3 wires are on the same side, brown/white w. red stripe/white w. blue stripe.

Total cost shipped was about $57; this is only for one side. So about $120 "mod" if you will. The circled item in red is the harness for the B pillar LED, it has a path to follow down the left side of the upper trim cover and clips in all along the way securely [no rattles].

Couple of other notes.. I tried looking for where the pillar lights would plug in if they followed the wiring harness all the way to the FEM. Yeah. That's not going to happen. Really your options are to wire splice or just forget doing it all together. I am *hoping* since this is a simple LED that tapping into the system and adding two more LEDs isn't going to create some crazy German LED wrath of hell to fall upon me. Obviously there are 3 wires; what I assume to be the ground, and then one wire each for control of the orange LED and one for the white LED. The vehicle should just be sending voltage to either orange or white, and adjusting voltage as necessary for the dimming effect. I am again hoping that this is a very basic system; it obviously hasn't been over engineered to the point where each LED is addressed, since there is a wire for each color. Hopefully they kept this simple, and adding two more factory LEDs isn't going to alter electrical requirements of any impact.

tl;dr - LIGHTS!!
I just did this retrofit and it was super easy. I bought the OEM piece. The 2nd brown cable goes to the red and white which is for orange and the 3rd brown cable goes to the white and blue.
Appreciate 1