View Single Post
      08-29-2017, 05:18 AM   #1
JJS
Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 335i 6MT M-Sport

Oil levels

I carried out a DIY oil change in the weekend. But before I started, I got iDrive to measure the level. It read full/max. Not bad after 15,000km without any top-ups, I thought.

So I drained the old oil and I measured just about 5.5 litres. The oil capacity is 6.5 litres. So maybe the measuring system has some latitude for lowering oil levels. After all, 1L of oil isn't much.

Anyhow, I measured out 6.5L of fresh oil and poured the lot in after changing the filter (yes, I even mopped up the remnant oil in the filter housing) and tightening the sump bolt. After a quick drive to warm up the engine, I measured the level again. It was exactly the same reading at full/max.

That suggests that my oil measuring system is inaccurate (or has plenty of latitude), or I had a litre of oil hiding somewhere in the engine that escaped draining and I have now overfilled my engine.

Should I be worried? Having a dipstick is so much easier.
| 6 Speed Manual | 2VF Adaptive M Suspension | 2VL Variable Sports Steering | 403M wheels | M-Sport brakes | 688 Harman Kardon | 494 Heated Seats | 610 HUD | 322 Comfort Access | 5AC High-Beam Assist | 609 Navigation Professional |
Appreciate 1
eluded3038.00