View Single Post
      04-16-2017, 05:28 PM   #7
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianwolf View Post
I'm surprised that BMW doesn't support android car, even though I'm not a fan of android. As it stands BMWs navigation system and apple maps via CarPlay are the only integrated systems available currently.

Unfortunately apple maps is not integrated into the HUD when in use, which is a shame. Having used Google maps, in addition to Apple and BMW in Europe, they are all pretty much on par now.

The downside of BMW's navigation is the lack of speed camera alerts (European law) or an easy way of adding them.

Screen mirroring doesn't work whilst driving, albeit having audio alerts as suggested in a previous post is the best alternative available for now.
Android Auto is on Bentley. I see recently that a few more manufacturers are now listed "Launched."

Android Auto on BMW is in development, but I agree there is a disconnect and ambiguous logic as to what is or is not supported. Google maps is used to send addresses to the car, but not used in the vehicle. Certain remote features only work on Android or Apple. Email and text messages seem to be better supported by Android, but Carplay was introduced to market first.

CarPlay seems like a poorly integrated afterthought; many of the functions are not fully supported by hotkeys or the HUD. And, it must be disabled to use certain native idrive functions.

It would be my assumption that BMW is focussing more on A2A (Apps for Auto), for more deeply integrated support through ConnectedDrive platform.
Appreciate 0