View Single Post
      04-22-2012, 01:43 PM   #17
micknugget
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328 Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6pwr View Post
In spite of all this, we doubt BMW. We love the engineering that goes into the car but somewhere in our reptilian brain some atavism, some primordial fear, tells us the engineers can’t be trusted, that if we want the car to last we must halve the oil change interval to 7500 mi or 5000 mi or whatever.

I’d like to challenge anyone to post a link to a contemporary, scientific study by a reputable source that shows shortening the mfrs recommended oil change interval will increase the longevity and durability of the engine. And I don’t mean Mike Miller’s Old School Maintenance Schedule. I mean a study reported by the Society of Automotive Engineers, or the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, or the Society of Tribologists and Lubricants Engineers - - or similar.
Ummm...ok. First, I don't trust BMW because they are a capitalistic company based on increasing profits. Longer periods between oil changes costs them less (with their free maintenance) and allows their product to possibly wear out sooner meaning they get to sell another one.

The other thing that gives me pause in that there is in fact conflicting information. Here is a link to the Toyota website:

http://www.toyota.com/owners/web/pag...etic-motor-oil

They claim that 10k miles is the right number. Obviously they have also done their own studies yet they come up with a different number.

Mercedes and Audi also recommend 10k miles. Based on that information, i'm just not sure about the 15k interval.