View Single Post
      12-10-2018, 11:56 AM   #14
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IraHayes View Post
No specific time per se. Many of the cars that exhibited problems harken back to when BMW was recommending 15k OCI. The TSB BMW released (in 2017 I believe?) states cars with build dates of 3/2013 and earlier are the ones affected. That doesn’t mean that newer cars can’t exhibit the issue, but It makes me wonder if that is around the time where they went back to the 10k OCI. Regardless, I’m with spade. Change your oil more frequently as the longer OCI is believed to have been a contributor to the problem. I say “believed,” because nobody really seems to know for sure. BMW has never really released any type of official statement regarding the issue, so it is all speculation. I change my oil every 6k myself.

I recently also emailed BMW AG asking about this. So far, no reply and I don’t expect I will get one either.
FYI, the cutoff dates of ELW are 2/2015, so production dates of 3/2015 and beyond are not covered/affected.

Since there is no new part# for TC, it is fair to assume oil is a part of the issue and solution. One rumor is that 3/2015 was when BMWAG started to factory fill N20/N26 with LL01FE 0w30(and later also LL14FE 0w20), but there is no official clarification from BMWNA/BMWAG.
Appreciate 0