View Single Post
      06-24-2017, 12:22 AM   #37
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
I think you misunderstood what I wrote. I am just going off what DMV says. Tints are allowed as long as above 70%. My point about factory glass is that a tint of matching or higher VLT will not attract attention.
I think you're the one who misunderstood.

It's illegal to apply tint film -- or anything else -- to the windshield or front side windows. I'm not sure where you got your information, but this is from the Department of Morons and Villains website.

Quote:
Windshield/window stickers, etc., are permitted in these locations only:
A 7 inch square on either the passenger’s side windshield lower corner or the lower corner of the rear window.
A 5 inch square on the lower corner of the driver’s side window.
The side windows behind the driver.
A 5 inch square located in the center uppermost portion of your windshield for an electronic toll payment device.
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...addl_drv_rules
Whether or not the cops notice it is a different question. I've filed motions to suppress evidence in cases where clients have been stopped for tinted windows, with mixed results.

In some, the cop couldn't articulate why he thought the tint was illegal (and in one, the dealer verified it was stock). I usually win those.

In another, when I cross examined the cop, he said, "Counselor, that glass was so darn dark that on a sunny day in broad daylight, I couldn't see whether Chewbacca was driving the car." The judge laughed, then gave me the look that said "You aren't going to be able to talk your way out of this one."
Appreciate 0