10-26-2019, 10:52 PM   #25
khj24
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
So, huge update here:

I just (partially) removed/reinstalled the CP yet again today. Before doing so, I revised by boost leak tester and got that working to confirm the location of any leaks. Turns out, the VRSF CP-IC connection was leaking despite already using the 4mm Oring. Quite annoying. I removed the CP from the TB and from the IC because I did not want to drop the IC or completely removed the CP again. I pulled out the 4mm Oring and tried the 4.5mmx60mm Oring again. There was no way it was going to fit (I had already tried a few weeks ago with the CP/IC completely out of the car). I was second away from just RTVing the connection with the 4mm Oring when I decided to try and modify the 4.5mm Oring to fit….

With sand paper wrapped around a drill, I VERY SLIGHTLY sanded down the inner diameter of the 4.5mm Oring being sure to have it rotate while being sanded so as to not take material off in only one spot. I took off probably 0.1mm from the ID, just enough to have a barely noticeable change in the ID (from perfectly round ID to slightly flat). I put the Oring back in the CP from under the car, and it still wouldn’t go on, until I used an excessive amount of force…

I had to take a large pry bar and pry down against the lip on the outside of the CP (forcing it onto IC), bracing against the frame, while reaching up with my left hand and pulling as hard as I could down toward the IC. The entire IC was flexing quite a bit; I was worried I was going to break it off the mounts (it was still mounted and TIC attached). Even then, it took several tries and it barely wanted to go on. At first I couldn’t even get the clip on until I got it just far enough to get a screwdriver into the clip spot and sneak it down far enough to get the clip in. As you can imagine, the IC-CP connection has absolutely zero play now.

Following that I reinstalled at the TB (still using the larger-than-stock Oring), double checked the clamps, etc, and proceeding to boost leak test – FINALLY, NO LEAK AT THE CP-IC CONNECTION.

Needless to say, there is absolutely no way the VRSF IC-VRSF CP would work with a stock Oring. It would not even work with the 4mmx59mm, which is already much larger than stock. It took the above to finally get it sealed. So, I guess I am just the unlucky one here? I can only assume it is the connection on the VRSF IC cold side, since the VRSF CP seemed to fit tighter on the stock IC than the VRSF IC, even with stock Oring. Such a F-ing nightmare this has been.I guess I just got a “bad” VRSF IC where the cold side connection is too small in diameter to seal properly.

My logs look much better, thankfully. I still don’t completely reach boost in 1st, but I guess that is normal? Here are some before and after today’s fix (the “best” ones)

BEFORE:
1-4: https://datazap.me/u/thejeremyman9/1...=0&data=5-6-25
4: https://datazap.me/u/thejeremyman9/4...=0&data=5-6-25

AFTER:
1-4: https://datazap.me/u/thejeremyman9/1...=0&data=5-6-25
4: https://datazap.me/u/thejeremyman9/4...=0&data=5-6-25

I still don’t get why 4th is below target by a bit early on, or why I almost always get the throttle closure mid pull (trying to help boost reach target?) but that has been in every single one of my logs since flashing stage 1 and MHD said it was OK…

I will post in the boost leak tester thread tomorrow with how I finally got that to work. 
Glad to hear you finally got a resolution, I am a bit afraid that mine is still leaking if yours was with the 4mm. I honestly think ill buy a different CP if that's the case, sounds like you had a fun time installing it and I really have little interest going through that. Just don't think we should be having to deal with this, if we were using a mix of aftermarket brands and/or OEM maybe, but two connected parts from the same brand having issues is a bit hard to be cool with.

Funny enough, my problems started with the VRSF CP and stock IC, but yes that connection is tighter. Makes me think the IC connection is a bit smaller and the CP one larger. I was still had oil coming out with the stock intercooler. Ill be buying BM3 soon so that'll help me know for sure.
Appreciate 0