Thread: Is this right?
View Single Post
      02-18-2018, 02:44 AM   #4
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

I've re-read the full article, and most of it is rambling nonsense. It may not be overtly homophobic, but it's easy to infer a certain level of homophobia from them:

"I supported civil partnerships long before it was fashionable and I'd rather children were fostered by loving gay couples than condemned to rot in state-run institutions, where they face a better-than-average chance of being abused."

Saying that being being fostered by a gay couple is a step up from being abused in institutional care is hardly a ringing endorsement of it, or is it to imply that being gay means you should only be fostering or adopting children, and not having children of your own?

"That said, and despite the fact that countless single parents do a fantastic job, I still cling to the belief that children benefit most from being brought up by a man and a woman."

I'm sure that there are many aspects of parenting that anyone could call out as being what children benefit most from, but that does not mean anything less than that is not acceptable or inappropriate.

"Which is precisely what worries me most about the Daley publicity stunt. Here we have two men drawing attention to the fact that 'they' are having a baby.

But where's the mum, the possessor of the womb which features in this photograph? She appears to have been written out of the script entirely.

We are not told her identity, where she lives, or even when the baby is due. She is merely the anonymous incubator."

This last bit is all over the place, because if they are using a surrogate, they will also be using an egg donor, which will be a different woman to the surrogate, and both of which, I am sure, expecting full confidentiality, and in the donor's case, possibly not even aware. So that she is not mentioned is pretty much what you'd actually expect in this case, and I don't really get his indignation at this.

Having said all that, I can't really stand the celeb lifestyle thing, so using stuff like this to raise your public profile all seems pretty naff to me, whoever you are, and whatever your sexual orientation, and the sharing of ultrasound pics (that do indeed all look the same) is a modern trend I could do without.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 4
JLR19691882.00
rich100874.50
CraigJ29.00