View Single Post
      02-23-2016, 08:36 PM   #62
pjohns21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB-II/CR 228i xDrive

[QUOTE=[/QUOTE]

Pleasure me with your thoughts on why you think RWD is more fun than xDrive, the way BMW has designed it, then. The fun in RWD is the inherit ability to drift, oversteer, and challenge the driver more. With the exception of more/better traction in a straight line with or without wet/snowy conditions, BMW has designed their system to behave more like a RWD vehicle, to keep the "fun" in driving, even with xDrive. For those of you who say RWD is better for tradition's sake, but have never explored the limits of your car in such a way, should have nothing to say about xDrive vs. RWD. As I said, BMW knows their stuff and has made xDrive as performance oriented as possible (versus the way other AWD systems are designed in conjunction with stability control systems) by allowing wheel spin, drifting, power sliding, and oversteer with DSC off. Furthermore, xDrive models are usually faster to 60mph than the same cars with RWD. The last point is especially noteworthy because xDrive adds significant weight to the car, making one suspect it would be slower to 60mph than it's RWD counterpart. With either model, drivers who have never turned DSC off are getting a very similar driving experience since the system cuts power and selectively applies the brakes whenever a hint of wheel slippage is detected. As I said, xDrive allows the driver to have his/her cake and eat it too, so long as individuals know how to manipulate the driving assistance/safety systems when it is appropriate to do so. If you insist on RWD because that's what most traditional race cars have always been, so be it. For amateur enthusiasts, xDrive not only allows one to let loose with DSC off when it's appropriate by simulating the RWD driving experience, it also facilitates safety and competence while driving in rainy and snow conditions.
Appreciate 0