04-27-2019, 07:34 AM   #6
axis
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 430i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fthree6mafia View Post
Not sure if there is something physically wrong like the other post mentioned, but to me it sounds like it just needs to be reset. I had this issue when I first bought my car; see my post about it here:

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=23146768
Thanks, I actually found your post when I was searching before and thought that may be the case. However, I have been coding some things with bimmercode and a couple things I did were for the hatch, so I think that ECU had already been reset, and it was still occurring.

Here's what I did to (I THINK!!) finally fix it...

While messing around with it a couple days ago, I noticed that the right side of the hatch lid, when closed, was slightly higher than the left side. It wasn't quite flush with the rest of the car at the seam. I tried adjusting those rubber stops to no avail. I even loosened the stop on the side of the hatch (2 T40 Torx bolts) and adjusted that where it should have allowed more closing room, and it was still not flush on the right side. While opening and closing the hatch over and over during all my testing, I noticed that it seemed the latch mechanism was pulling the hatch to the right slightly when it closed all the way. I looked at the locking part from the top, and it didn't look centered. I popped off the two circular plastic covers, used a 13mm socket, and adjusted the latch over to the left side a bit until it looked like it was in the middle. I tested again, and it looked much better. The right side of the hatch was finally flush, and it didn't pull to either side when it closed.

I put the rubber stops back to where they were initially, and did a bunch more tests. So far, it has worked every time. I think it was the latch mechanism not being centered that was causing the problem. It wasn't off by much, but it must have been causing the hatch to release unevenly or something which stopped the auto open from engaging.

TLDR - I think I fixed it by adjusting the latch mechanism slightly.

-Update -

No problems all weekend, so it looks like adjusting the latch did the trick.

Last edited by axis; 04-29-2019 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 0