07-22-2019, 10:04 AM   #121
bluemark
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWbill View Post
You are experiencing oscillation at highway speeds which is very different than most of the reported problems on this thread. At highway speeds your engine is not being stressed except when you accelerate hard. Therefore your transfer case is not being stressed hard either. For this reason I do not suspect it is your transfer case that is causing this oscillation. (full disclosure I am no engineer or driveline technician) I had my own transfer case replaced twice under BMW because under hard acceleration, with engine passing its full torque through the transfer case, I felt instant slipping which caused the car to hesitate rapidly in the forward direction. It was easy to feel this hesitation which was very different than a vibration of unbalanced tires or bent wheels. Are you sure your X3 doesn't have an oblong rim caused by a large pothole? I have had this oblong wheel issue with many of my M-sport rims already. It will not show up in an alignment and typically it doesn't even show up on a wheel balancing machine. I had to send my wheels out to a race shop that does high speed balancing and they were able to true my rims back to round until the next pothole... My vibrations from bent rims didn't really show up until speeds of 75-100 mph though. I'm not saying you have a bent wheel, as an X3 probably has more rubber between the rim and street so your wheels are probably far more durable than mine, but you should rule out the possibility at least. (The way I diagnosed my bent rims was by switching to my winter wheels and the vibrations stopped)
What I was experiencing was definitely not a bent rim. Perhaps my description of oscillating sensation was incorrect. As I hit 100 kph under hard acceleration, the vehicle had a definite jerkiness/hesitation. Once i was no longer accelerating, it disappeared. If it was a rim, I am quite certain a transfer case oil change would not have mostly corrected the issue.
Appreciate 0