View Single Post
      04-04-2014, 05:01 AM   #16
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

All the iDrive output specs are already posted, discussed and analized several times over in this forum. So the assumption is that when another install discussion shows up then all is already known or searched about and no further explanations are required.

However, here is the PG-13 version:

The LOC is a Line Output Converter. It is a device used to convert a high level signal (speaker level) into a low level signal (amplifier inputs level). The standard OEM audio system in all F30 in the USA is HiFi. The HiFi system iDrive outputs balanced, low level signals.

Thus, no LOC required. The signal is already low level.

The balanced part means that if you look at these outputs as RCA, then there will be positive voltage in the inner contact, and the same voltage but negative in the outer contact of the RCA. There is no ground contact in those RCA like standard RCA.

So balanced signals must be used only in balanced-inputs amps; for example, all JL Audio amps are balanced-inputs. No conversion required.

For those amps (most of them) that cannot accept balanced signals (the RCA inputs require a ground terminal) then the iDrive balanced signals must be converted into non-balanced signals. The device used for that conversion is an Audiocontrol Matrix. The Matrix takes a balanced signal input and convert it into non-balanced outputs while also performing as a line driver.

A line driver takes a low signal and makes it stronger; stronger means that the same low level signal can be used to drive several amps without a significant drop in level. In the case of the Matrix theoretically it can drive up to 42 amps using the iDrive outputs -and the iDrive would not even notice.

Using a LOC with a low level signal as its input makes it weaker. That means that the aftermarket amp gains must compensate for that signal weakness. Raising gains can create hiss.

In this particular install there was no need at all of even looking at the iDrive for anything, much less unistalling it and tapping any wires. All the wires required for any install -all possible installs that can be thought of- are located at the OEM amp connector. All the inputs, outputs and remote turn on. Less install hassle, less chances of scratching the dash and trim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaSecaBlue View Post
Sorry T, but I had to laugh when I read this...four times over. I'm going to assume there's like two other people on this forum that even know what you just said, lol. Next time, dumb it down for the rest of us in helmets on the short yellow bus dude.
Appreciate 0