07-18-2018, 03:00 PM   #10
NicB.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
If you want to keep your car running for a long time, changing the oil every 7-8K instead of the ridiculous 15K interval is more important than the tiny differences in oil formulations.
Totally agree. I used to change my e46 every 6k. I plan to do the F30 at 7.5k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
BMW doesn't recommend the same oil for the same engine in different model years. The main advantage to 0w is a slight, and that's a very slight, improvement in gas mileage with a cold engine. If in doubt use what's called for in your manual. It does seem that some dealers are going all 0w, not because they should, but to reduce inventory.
I probably will default to 5W-30 since it is in both the owner's manual, TIS, and on the sticker in the hood. However, both TIS and the owner's manual say other weight oils (like 0W-30 / LL-01FE) are acceptable, and it seems based on my research the 0W-30 will be BMW's "go to" in the future.

I will admit I am a bit obsessive about cars at times, so I am trying to ferret out the pros/cons of the 0W-30 vs. 5W-30 to use the best product I can. It is difficult to discern though.
Appreciate 0