View Single Post
      06-06-2017, 05:21 AM   #23
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
Don't forget that Verizon also provides much higher, if not equal upload speeds as their download speeds. I think it's ridiculous that I can download at 250mbps, but only upload at 10mbps through xfinity. I have started using a personal vpn for additional privacy through public hotspots, so routing back through my house is a pretty bad bottleneck. I am also hosting my nas with music and photos so could really use more upload speed.

I was happy with Verizon, for the most part, when I was able to have them. I only use internet now along with PS Vue, Netflix and Amazon prime. It's enough for me. I'm more of a news and movie watcher. I casually watch a few TV sitcoms, but have started enjoying Netflix content better, like Longmire, Bloodlines etc. I apologize for the Netflix references.
Someone who gets it. Asymmetrical speeds are a joke. As I said previously in this post, people only focus on their download speeds and don't pay much attention to their uploads. You all should care more about uploads as more and more of your devices are pushing up data into the Internet such as all of your cloud enabled devices.

I also have Comcast for my service as it's really the only game in town other than DSL. It's stupid that Comcast is still doing 10 Mbps upload up to your 250 Mbps download service. I have 150 down and am getting 10 (actually 12 when I do a speed test) uploads. I need better upload speeds as I stream all sorts of things through my Internet circuit: Plex, Slingbox, NAS, VoIP, IP security cameras, and generic access to my home network/lab environment for work purposes (hardware/software demonstrations for my customers). I'll be standing up a site to site Suite B VPN tunnel between my main residence and my vacation property soon so I can do replication of data out to my vacation property as an offsite DR site...that's if the crap Mediacom service stays consistent enough to allow this to work 24/7.
Appreciate 0