View Single Post
      06-07-2017, 02:49 PM   #38
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
They all such, each provider has it own set of issues from service to the equipment.

I currently have Comcast for internet and I do not have the top tier service, I am in the middle of what they offer. I have DirecTV, and I would have told you they had the best customer service and great quality product, been with them since 97. Since being bought by AT&T the customer service went to shit and they been increase the costs and finding new ways to charge you like the new Local Sport access fee $7, call about that and was told I had to pay it, I asked them what it was for and all the guy could do was read a script, but if I go to the lower package I did not have to pay even though it did not eliminate any local sport shows. I asked which channel this fee applied to and did not get an answer, it was not part of the script. Also been having issue with the equipment it is mostly due to the software updates they are doing. Sometime it works and the next day it has an issue.

It comes down to which set of problems you want to deal with. There are nightmare with each of them, read the internet these companies have no interest in doing the right thing. They all will increase your price unless you call them all the time.

For those arguing about which is faster, keep in mind Ethernet is a collusion base networking technology it has been this way since the very beginning. The provide try to solve the problem by making the pipes bigger, but at the end of the day the network is only as good as the slowest link in the connection. Some days it fast and other days it is slow. If Comcast provide 30Mb download and 6Mb upload that is all you get they throttle your bandwidth, VZ does the exact same thing even though their pipes are bigger they will not let you have a faster speed unless you are paying for it. The issue I have seen both with Comcast and VZ if you get those high tier service like 150Mb download it is very unlikely you can take advantage of it with your equipment in your house. I have tests those types of connect and they seem to have more issue maintaining the speed than those of 30Mb. Why, the higher speed means it run the risk of hitting a limit somewhere down the line.

I personally could not be bother switching back and forth to get the best deal for a year or two.
I've stayed with DirecTV because of the customer experience in the past and have not bundled my TV services with Comcast even though I use Comcast for Internet. I guess time will tell as I used to get a bundle discount by having my Verizon landline bundled with DirecTV under one bill. Well that stopped so I have to see what the pricing is now.

With regards to your statement about Ethernet, you mean the network operates off of collision domains. Your premise about how this was solved is incorrect with regards to increasing the connection pipes. The solution to Ethernet operating under collision domains was first the use of CSMA/CD. Because of how this collision detection protocol works, everything ran at half duplex and as more clients are added to the hub topology network, performance would degrade. The fix to this was switched networks which allow clients to run at full speed without needing to invoke CSMA/CD. None of this discussion even applies to what we're talking about here as it's all WAN based networks which have a totally different set of constraints. The only similar technology to Ethernet used on LANs is MetroE which wouldn't be offered up to residential users. That's why cable has a set of protocols such as DOCSIS. FIOS runs on a specific protocol. DSL runs on a specific protocol. In the business world, the WAN circuits used are T1, DS3, OC3, OC48, OC192, SONET, X.25 frame relay, etc, etc. All of these protocols are built to deal with the distances and environmental losses that occur in WAN deployments.
Appreciate 0