View Single Post
      06-25-2018, 05:39 AM   #1
shokka9
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 320d ED F30

Below Minimum Oil Level......

Hi folks....

Quick history; approx 2 weeks ago, I inadvertently drove over a small traffic cone island (the cone was missing, and I was waved into a right turn by an oncoming motorist). This happened in Ely, and I live in Manchester.

Yes, I should've waited until I could see where/what I was turning into, but everything is better in hindsight. Expensive mistake!

The resultant injury was a cracked oil sump. I had to call the AA, and they were great. Took me to a local garage in Ely, and the repair was carried out the next day. The garage managed to find a refurbished sump, and then put fresh oil in, together with a new oil filter.

This took place on a Wednesday, and I had my car booked in for a full service on the following Monday (at a different garage, back in Manchester). The car did not receive a full oil change, as it has clearly just been done after the sump replacement.

Fast forward 2 weeks, and I'm driving to Cambridge from Manchester today (I do about 750-800 miles a week). I'm around 50 miles into a 177 mile journey, and the oil warning message comes up 'Oil level is at the minimum level, please top up with one litre asap'.

Okay, strange I thought, as I have had the car around a year, and it's never once gave me this warning. Ever, and that's after doing 35,000 miles in 10 months!

As I'm pulling off the M11 into the Park & Ride, the warning light comes on again, and it says that I am now below the minimum level and to add oil as a matter of urgency.

Is this normal? I'm guessing it's not.

I called the garage who did the repair (he's a respected garage, and an ex-AA man, who also races a BMW. He was a friend of the AA man. I checked the garage online too, and he is very reputable) and told him my woes. He explained that I needed to actually check the oil level with the dip stick to confirm the level reading was correct and it wasn't a faulty sensor (I should've thought of this myself, but I'm thinking the worst already).

Checked the oil level with the dipstick, it's low. It's on the bottom line, as per the warning message.

I called the garage back, and he said, that it could possibly be that as the sump was off, and replaced, that the car actually needed more oil than stated, and the amount he put in the engine. He recommends putting oil in (obviously), and reporting back to him.

Does this sound possible? I'm putting oil in later when I get back to the car. So, I will be able to find out.

Car is F30 320d ED 2014.
Appreciate 0