View Single Post
      02-22-2021, 08:20 AM   #15
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvit27 View Post

I had toyed with the idea of getting rid of the E46 but i'm glad I didn't. E46 is peak classic BMW. The F31 has potential though, and to be fair it's still on runflats and the base 4x4 suspension (non-adaptive unfortunately).
Yeah, that's it in a nutshell. As a public service to others:

As the F3X transitions to preowned buyers, some of whom don't do their homework before making a purchase and are trying to save money, it needs to be stated that each suspension is uniquely different than another and for the lifespan of the F3X generation, the X-Drive is generally thought to be the least sporty and least nimble by enthusiasts. This is the pecking order:

RWD Adaptive-M
RWD Sport
RWD Luxury
AWD Adaptive-M
AWD All Other Trims

Just a head's up to those considering an F3X. If you want the type of ride closest to the old days, you must find an example that is an LCI, RWD, with the Adaptive-M Suspension option. Any X-Drive version, even with the M-Sport package, will not provide the type of handling you seek as that doesn't have an M-Sport suspension or a Sport suspension, it has the X-Drive Suspension.

The F3X gets a bad reputation because if configured in its cheapest iterations it rides and handles like a Camry. Not very many people got the Adaptive-M Suspension in the early days of the F3X. And while some positive changes were made for the LCI, it's still about the Adaptive-M Suspension.
Appreciate 0