02-22-2021, 10:28 AM   #19
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
I really miss mine. It's still the standard I use to judge everything else I own/drive. My RWD F32 with MSport and ECD is heavy, soggy, and numb in comparison. It might be faster with much higher handling limits, but it is no where even close as fun to drive...and to my eyes, as good looking. I liked the E36 and E46 much better inside and out.

Mine was a '99 Titanium Silver 323. It had a manual transmission and the only options on the car was the sport package and the moon roof.

The balance and the way the car handled was fantastic and it was so communicative it felt like you were wearing the car like an Ironman suit rather than simply getting inside a car like you do the F3X cars. No car I've owned since then, to include my F32, has been as enjoyable to drive. The E46 was in a completely different league. When I owned the car, I loved it, but now that I've owned other cars and driven many, many, more, I realize how special the car and the chassis really was.

I also enjoyed the interior look of the E46 much better than any BMW since. I didn't have the nav, so the entire dash area was one very simple, plain, yet attractive area. The ergonomics were nearly perfect and I really miss the window controls down by the shift lever.

My only complaint with the car was it felt under powered in the 323i trim (around 175hp). I probably would have been much happier with the 328/330, but I couldn't afford it at the time.

The car wasn't real reliable at first, but I managed to fix most of the problems before the warranty expired. By the time I sold it seven years later (due to an overseas move) with 130K on the odo, it was running smoother and got better gas mileage than when it was newer. It was also rattle free and as tight/fun to drive as it was brand new.

Wow...thinking about that car I really miss it now and regret selling it even more...

Last edited by Desertnate; 02-22-2021 at 10:51 AM..
Appreciate 1
dmaxdmax417.00