View Single Post
      02-18-2018, 08:09 PM   #35
DreamTime
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-Bracq-BMW View Post
Wow, what a sweet looking E46. I believe the only thing one needs to worry about purchasing these are the vanos and the cracked chassis at the rear subframe but this one looks to have been taken care of and very much loved. And the imola red and cloth/leather combo is fantastic! It would be a bit sad to convert it to a racer though: it looks like a fine daily driver...

Going back to the initial 8 series, It's IMO one of the future classics to invest in when prices are still low. Of course, being such a complicated car, there may be expensive remedial work to put in, but I believe they could be amazing restomod projects (like what Singer does to classic 911's). I've just completed a virtual restomod of the 850i I'm attaching here. I've just widened both front and rear tracks and widened the front and rear fenders, attached sike skirts and front spoiler and cleaned up some of parts such as updating the door handles to modern ones and changing the orange indicators to clear ones. Of course the biggest impact items are bigger wheels/tire combo and brakes. The only part from the car that looks "old" are the rear tail lights, which need to have a more modern slim design. Otherwise this car could be sold as-it today. Attached pic. I think this car is one of the best looking BMW's ever made.

Attachment 1770560
Yes, a sweet looking E46 indeed. Totally caught my eye. The fact that the subframe had been reinforced and VANOS had been addressed almost sealed the deal. It definitely does look like it has been well taken care of, even though it has relatively higher miles. I think you are absolutely right though, it is almost too nice to turn into a track car. One day I will have a beautiful E46 M3 like this, but my next car purchase needs to be a track only car - so I had to let this one go…

Umm, I am kind of speechless with what you have presented to us here with the virtual restomod of an 850i. Just gorgeous, wow. Every updated element looks amazing - very well-balanced, tasteful and classy, just perfect. I’m blown away… this is probably the coolest thing I have seen in a while. And, yes, the taillights could stand to be updated, but overall the car is stunning. This has truly made my day! Thank you for sharing!
Appreciate 0