View Single Post
      02-21-2018, 02:05 PM   #47
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxi2k View Post
Had the correct research been done, it would seem the OP would have preferred a lower engine point and higher trim, ie a 5 series with less power. 0-60 probably looked appealing and expected the cabin to be the same, it isn't and this whole thread of "disappointed in a 3 series" would have been avoided, again, had a test drive or some basic research been completed.
Ok, given I've been disappointed with the chassis on my F31 - and have said so on more than occasion - I'll bite on this!

When I was looking to buy (summer of 2014) there were no 335d's available to test drive at any of the dealers local to me. I did however manage to test drive a 330d X-Drive back to back with a 435i M-Sport coupe (both on 19" wheels, both on passive suspension as finding an X-drive demo with adaptive was also impossible). My conclusion was that the standard X-drive was too soft for my taste but the salesman assured me that with adaptive in Sport mode it would drive in a similar way to the 435i (which felt fine to me). On that basis I ordered my 335d with adaptive and, while it's better than standard, even in Sport mode I still thinks it leaves something to be desired on a twisty road. However, as I now spend a relatively low proportion of my time on those roads I've chosen to live with it and not go the ACS springs route or similar.

Therefore, I think I've every right to voice an opinion that the chassis falls short of what you expect from an M-Sport BMW and in the circumstances I think I did do a reasonable amount of research and test driving. Perhaps with the wisdom of hindsight I should have held-out for a test in a 335d with adaptive - and not been influenced quite so much by the salesman - but I certainly didn't purchase without doing any homework. Actually, I reckon I probably did more than most and - chassis aside - I'm quite happy with the car and don't really agree with some of the criticism that's being levelled by others.

However, I don't agree with your inference that anyone who's unhappy with their car simply didn't do enough research. Sometimes it might be as simple as that but sometimes you can do what believe to be a reasonable amount of research and homework and still not end-up with quite what you were hoping for (or indeed expecting from an M-sport BMW!).
Appreciate 0