Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car 65 View Post
Yes.
Part number has changed.
New number is, H&R 28895-8.
I have these sitting on my workbench waiting for installation.
Hope to install in the next two weeks. Will do the work myself.
I have the damper dynos for this kit. LMK if you'd like them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car 65 View Post
I do think of this kit as a semi adjustable suspension.
A true coilover gives you the ability to raise and lower from the shock body without changing spring tension.
With the H&R front strut you increase of decrease spring tension in order to raise or lower. The rear suspension design of the F3x cars does not allow for coilover operation as the shock and spring are separate items.
To a certain degree the rear spring can have some additional tension depending on how high you set the threaded spring adjusting collar.
But at this price point I think it is a fair compromise.
I paid $1,369.99.
I'll report back after installation with my thoughts.
I don't quite agree that the spring tension is increased/decreased when changing the ride height.

Ride height is dictated by how much the spring is compressed by the weight of the car. If you raise or lower the perch, the weight on the spring is the same, and thus the amount the spring compresses is the same, so there's no more or less tension on the spring.

The boundary cases where that isn't true is if the perch is raised/lowered so much that you run into the travel limit of some other part of the suspension. If you keep raising the ride height eventually the damper will reach full extension or the bushings will be providing enough counter force and prevent the height from raising any higher. This is equivalent to the suspension being at full droop. Raising beyond that would then be adding extra pre-load to the springs. On the other hand if you lower too much you eventually just sit on the bump stops, and/or hit the damper maximum compression (properly spec'd bump stops should prevent that).

In systems where the damper length is adjusted with ride height they typically do that so that the piston sits in the same position within the damper no matter what height is set. This ensures you have enough compression and extension stroke to not bottom/extend out the damper. With the dampers on our cars the suspension manufacturers recommend a height range to achieve the same thing.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.

Last edited by FaRKle!; 09-06-2020 at 12:11 AM..
Appreciate 1