Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax240 View Post
Auto/DCT cars have the electronics in the transmission that control the gear shifts. the driver just selects up/down. so what annoys me is the programming taking over and over-riding what I gear I want. e.g. if I want to use a lot of engine braking, I might down shift very early. or if I want to keep a car stable during a corner, I might hold it past redline.
unless you have a race programmed transmission, I'm pretty sure, the car is going to disallow any commands it doesn't like. This also means I might not be in the gear I think I am in, if the down shifts didn't happen each time I selected the downshift paddle. which will cost me time when I go to accelerate.
so MT for me, because it's fun and I stay in control.
Seems like you haven’t driven an ///M DCT. It does exactly what the driver commands, it will ride the rev limiter if you don’t upshift, it will downshift early if you ask it to. The only time the DCT will override the driver is when the driver commands a downshift that would cause an overrev (prevent a morey shift) or if the driver omits to downshift when it would cause the engine to bog down. Besides those exceptions, the DCT does exactly what the driver wants.
It's dry outside , beside those exceptions when it rains.

My kid was really good , Beside those exceptions when he shot an animal and bullied another child.

It's pretty easy to remove the point by explaining it away.

A manual transmission *requires* that the driver *always* be in command of the car.

It doesn't " shift up to prevent an over rev ".. and it doesn't " shift down to get in the correct gear ". if you miss a gear as a driver , or if you choose the wrong gear in a manual transmission vehicle then there are consequences.

These consequences are what makes the difference. If I miss a gear, then I missed it.

It's like taking a test in school, no one comes along and checks the correct answer box for me just because i forgot to check a box.

Any error made is mine, I accept that , whether taking the test above or if I am racing or driving on track with another driver in a session and I lose time because I was in the wrong gear , then i have to figure a way to make up the time I lost.

If the difference in skill is that the other driver shifts better than I do then that's why the other driver is superior.

CanAutM3 i think it's an interesting item to debate, whether or not why the majority of racing series that spec an automated transmissions did so or if they did so because it's * faster* or instead to limit costs.

One of the pitfalls of racing is blowing up stuff like engines and transmissions. Besides the exception of being *faster * : a DCT transmission helps manage expenses for manufacturers of street cars and also does the same in racing series like Formula 1.

Traction control does the same as DCT with respect to tire management... by limiting the amount of wheelspin, tire management becomes less a factor. The same is true of ABS although extreme driver error can still occur under braking and even ockup occurs.
In an F1 for example a driver can still blister a tire.
Appreciate 1
mtoosexy729.00