02-14-2019, 03:02 PM   #27
yoon_209
Masterchief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
Yeah looking under the hood there's oil on the belt and pulleys. Haven't made any abrupt pulls in fear of the belt going off the pulley and into the crank seal. It's def s prob on our N55s.

So since it took your less than 4hrs I'm guessing you didn't drain coolant and oil? I see DIYs vary in doing this or not. Some drain one, both, or none and just catch as much spillage as possible. I've already done the spark plugs on this car by hand, so no fear in taking it apart, just being lazy lol. Plus I have to do it in my apt parking lot and it's cold in MA.
i had a coolant flush/replacement and oil changes right before i did the gasket change so didnt do it again. I did top off the coolant but I barely lost any while changing them out.

i def recommend placing couple of towels underneath and cover up the belts because you will lose coolant and if you arent prepared it will spill everywhere and make the cleanup that much worse.

i do plan on switching out the belts as a preventative measure somewhere down the line but there was very minimal oil on my belts and im only at 40k miles on my 2013. so i think i got some more time before it needs a change.