09-19-2019, 10:34 AM   #33
yoon_209
Masterchief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Hey guys, came across this post and have been reading up and doing my homework regarding this issue. I had an oil change done at Kal Tire at the beginning of spring when I had my summer tires swapped over. I normally bring it to the local dealer but figured since I was already there why not get the oil changed done at the same time. Not sure if its a coincidence, but a couple of months later in started noticing oil spots where I park, and even one day while driving, I got a low oil alert and had to add a quart of oil. I went to an indy shop yesterday based on a recommendation and was given 3 separate quotes to replace both the gaskets, and the actual oil filter housing and the valve cover in CAD $. I asked them to give me 2 options, 1 with new parts and 2 just replacing the gaskets. Option 1 is about $2500 CAD parts, labour, and tax and option 2 is 1600$ CAD parts labour and tax. This is obviously a lot of coin and not a cost I really need right now, but that's besides the point.

I took my car to the local car wash and sprayed the engine bay down with some foam degreaser first and then a quick high pressure wash being careful not to spray a lot of the electrical connectors or my cold air intake which I covered up. With the engine bay washed and air dried a bit with an air gun, I drove home about 5 mins away and left the engine running and popped the hood and started looking for leaks with my work light. The VC looks good from what I can tell, the only real sign of oil before was some pooling in and around the black round cap where the filter goes in. As I was sitting there looking around I noticed a very small but steady leak coming out from under the oil filter cap and I'm wondering if they maybe didn't use a BMW oem filter or some cheap brand and the gasket has just failed? There is a fair amount of oil on the ground below my car and I'm wondering if this small leak would be enough to cause all this grief. I'll attach a pic or two, just wondering if anyone has any feedback on this. The car has 97k km on it.

if you pull your spark plugs and they have oil than its the valve cover gaskets, if you see oil where the housing is than its the housing gaskets, if oil is coming from the filter cap than probably the filter cap, i would jus get a new one, or previous mechanic did not torque to spec.

btw those numbers are rape... i was quoted 900 for oil fiter and oil cooler gaskets replacement for 6 hours of labor, i watched youtube DIY and did it for 200$ in parts (gaskets, impact wrench torque etc...) and three hours.