View Single Post
      02-01-2019, 09:47 AM   #8
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog_x View Post
Very interesting, nice find! When you replace the output flange with new it comes with a dozen or so flat spacer washers of varying thickness that sit behind the flange to take the play out. You would hope that the manufacturer would install the best one, but for every size that they are off you could expect another thousandth of play. Which could explain the really short lived transfer cases. If I end up having to install a fourth transfer case, I may give the loctite a shot! Curious if the rubber guibo off the RWD could be swapped in?
Did you buy 2 last summer?
I kind of regret not getting 2 at the $600 price. They're $4000 now. Price fluctuates with stock, so I will be watching it.
I will likely get a new shaft and output flange to rebuild the original Tcase. The output shaft has fine wear, another contra for the metallurgy theory.

The spacers are there to prevent axial movement (front to back), but they cannot do anything for the rotational vibration.
My original circlip and spacer had very specific wear "milled" into them.

I am now searching for a rubber 105mm giubo for that location. That by itself may be enough.

I planned to take a video of the giubo under the car, with car in drive and brakes pressed, to see the amount of vibration.. but ran out of time. I would have gotten more pics too.
A comparison video between the aluminum one and a rubber one would be awesome. Sitting at a light today, I put the car in neutral and it does reduce vibratory load quite a bit.
I think sitting still in drive is what is what is wearing these the most.
Once there is a little bit of wear, the damage following that happens at a faster rate.

One more modification I would do to my procedure, besides running Loctite 648, I would put a special type of vibration absorbing grease on the transmission output shaft before installing transfer case on, for protection. This is a common method on Ford spline shafts where there is no contact with oils, without hindering removal.
I will ask my transmission expert contact which grease that is exactly.
Others:
-E36 328is. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual. Estoril Z3M Coupe.

Last edited by Enabled; 02-01-2019 at 09:54 AM..
Appreciate 0