jackstrath
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 16' F31 340i & 03' Focus RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
What proper process do you suggest?

The Colston statue went through lots of “proper” processes. Since the 90’s there have been several campaigns and petitions to have it removed. Since 2018 there has been several versions of a new plaque suggested to reflect history, with most versions rejected by one group or another and stuck in a never ending bureaucratic circle.

I imagine that after 30 years of peaceful campaigns patience might have worn a little thin. I think it’s fair to suggest that voices have not been listened to.

Imagine the process to remove statues of less controversial people, how long would that take?
I dont know the full ins and outs but if after all them years it wasn't removed it almost sounds like the greater population of Bristol didn't want it removed, or at least wasn't as bothered by it.... Where do you draw the line? Anyone could take offence to anything.
Im not justifying the actions of the man the statue is off, but why now? How has it lasted all these years if it was such a big issue? Surly it would of been tossed in the drink long ago? I do feel the "rioting" side of the protesters is just people looking for an excuse to cause criminal damage....
I think the fact that the mayor of the town didn't see the need to remove it as soon as he became a public figure says it all.
Appreciate 0