View Single Post
      01-30-2020, 01:37 AM   #1
brandonf30
Software Engineer
Rep
Drives: 2020 C8

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Transmission Malfunction - Locked Out - 15K BMW Quote!

I was casually driving yesterday when something made a loud thud. As I went to accelerate, it just revved and the RPM's shot up. Car forced itself into Park and would not go back into Drive, Reverse or Neutral.

Turned the car off and back on. Managed to get it in drive and after a few seconds it felt like the transmission disconnected and was in neutral now. Parked and got towed to BMW.

BMW called and said that it failed the transmission test that they perform, and that it'll need a new transmission; which they quoted $15,004. Apparently they don't dig in the transmission to see what causes it, so that's why they quote a new price for a transmission LOL. Car isn't even worth $15k.

Car is a 2014 BMW 328I with an 8-Speed Automatic Transmission

Codes that came back were,
420321 - Gear-ratio monitoring: Gearshift 2 to x not plausible
421342 - Position specification: undesired power transmission in neutral detected

I've found other website that claim to do a transmission reset or software update, but I don't see how that could fix the problem?

I'm planning on taking it to another shop tomorrow to see if they can actually diagnose the problem to see what it could actually be. Came here to see if anyone else has experienced this or may have a word on this. :dunno:

Any help is appreciated!

UPDATE (01/31/2020): I took it to another shop yesterday and got a call today saying that something failed internally and they said itll be expensive for a new transmission (10k). Im finding used transmissions online for $500-1,000 if I had to go that route. All they said was that something failed internally, no description on what. I dont want to keep taking this car shop to shop!

Last updated: Ended up spending $2,900 for a used transmission with 3,000 miles. Metal shavings were found in old transmission.

Last edited by brandonf30; 04-23-2020 at 01:02 PM..
Appreciate 0