Thread: Nikon D810?
View Single Post
      12-20-2014, 06:32 PM   #22
Mik3ymomo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 540i XDrive

I shoot a little of everything including some wildlife. I have several reasons for using Pro gear. The Aperture isn't the only reason although it's a fair enough reason. The pro lenses usually have more ED (enhanced dispersion) glass elements which render a higher quality image. The pro lenses are also metal vs the consumer grade lenses which are plastic. I don't need to really explain the difference in durability of metal vs plastic?

Plastic barrel consumer grade lenses are not rated for even half the operating life as the pro metal counterpart. Nikon claims 8 years for consumer and 20+ for the pro lens lifespan.

The Pro lenses are also weather sealed which keep out dust and rain etc much better.

There has been some popular internet reviewer named Ken Rockwell that has been telling everyone they don't need pro gear and the consumer gear is just as good. That person accepts donations as his only form of income.

Do you think a consumer would pay him if he was telling them they HAD to pay thousands on gear?
No..

And if Pro's make their income from their images why would they spend thousands if they didn't have to? They only buy what they must because it comes out of their margin.

No offense to you Dave. You look like you enjoy the Hobby and are honestly trying to help. I've looked at your images and you do have some very nice ones on your site but I think we disagree fundamentaly on this.

I have done my best to explain in a factual and scientific way so people can decide which philosophy they want to follow.

I still recommend people buy the best they can afford if they care about their images.