View Single Post
      05-15-2020, 11:39 AM   #27
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IraHayes View Post
I reread the thread. Apparently, I missed the part about you purchasing from FCP. If you bought from them, I think you're safe; definitely a reputable source for German car parts.

I'm wondering if when the indy replaced the original plugs, if he didn't have the correct socket and cracked the ceramic insulator on the old ones upon removal, maybe some pieces remained behind and fell into the cylinder upon removal. I can see this happening it the socket was slipping due to not being able to completely get around the nut and he kept pulling his ratchet out to reposition.

I considered LSPI damage as well, but like Fleet said, these engines aren't really known for that, and these engines are rated for 89 octane gas. Unless the PO was using some really crappy quality gas.
Well, if you actually read the thread, OP changed the plugs himself (the first time), not the shop. I agree as i suggested a lot earlier that installation/removal error likely cracked the ceramic. There was another thread recently where someone did just that and did drop ceramic debris into the cylinder.
Appreciate 0