View Single Post
      01-20-2012, 07:58 AM   #57
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
A 2er Gran Coupe was considered but BMW have now rejected any proposal. relying on the 2er Coupe and Cabrio and alternative Roadster and Coupe to satisfy the needs of enthusiasts. Although Audi are introducing an A3 Sedan and Mercedes-Benz with its baby CLS the CLC.

They will impact on the profitability of the C-Klasse and A4 respectively , especially when fleet sales are considered which is why BMW did not want a four door 1er either in previous generation or current to impact on lower engined 3er's either in E90 and now the F30. These fleet sales are crucial to BMW.
Thanks for the great information, SCOTT, I really appreciate your contributions to this site.

While I can appreciate BMW's challenge as far as the need to bolster 3 series volume with fleet sales in order to maximize profitability from that product range, I do find the situation just a little unfortunate. As you note, the A3 sedan and CLC sedan are on the way. And as the 3 series edges up in size with each generation, the need for a smaller four door offering to slot in below becomes greater and greater. For markets where hatchbacks are not preferred form and factor or - in some cases -do not sell in enough volume to even make a case to be offered at all, a 1 series sedan (or at least a 2 series GC) seems inevitable at some point in the future in order for BMW to maintain its market share. This means that BMW will likely have to - at some point - find a way to maintain the 3 series profitablility in the face of sibling competition from a would-be 1 series sedan.

Quote:
BMW see the 1er as the "Alternative" to what you get with the competition. Which is why the emphasis is on the Sporthatch and Coupe and Cabrio. This time around a Touring will be satisfied by the introduction of the BMW FAST Family Activity Sports Tourer - A three concept FWD/AWD variant that mixes the commanding aura of an SAV, The looks of a higher riding Touring and the space of an MPV which is very crucial market within Europe. And the Compactive Sports Tourer - BMW's answer to the B-Klasse , Mercedes-Benz again another crucial market for BMW.
Those will no doubt be fine products, but I do see that you mention Europe specifically. Will either of these be available in the US? And even if they are, will they be the right vehicles to go up against the new smaller, entry level sedans from the competition as discussed above? With the luxury sales race so tight in the US, I am not convinced BMW's lineup is going to keep them in the lead as the current and planned F2x/F3x product range shapes up throughout the remainder of the decade.
Appreciate 0