06-25-2013, 03:07 PM   #13
avantix
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4CS Lime Rock Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve33 View Post
It's not a pointless comment. Look at all the other replies, we're all face-palming. You've clearly had multiple MT's, how has this never caused damage in a previous car? Especially with an AWD car it puts more stress on your drivetrain as it has more "power to ground" contact I suppose is the way to put it.

Excessive clutch wear/premature clutch failure or other drivetrain problems resulting from this crap won't be covered under regular maintenance or warranty. You need hundreds of gear changes to wear in the clutch and flywheel, or you run into damaging more than just the clutch

Also, dumping your clutch at a high RPM isn't exactly the best time wise. There's a sweetspot between traction and RPM's... hence why launch control doesn't take the engine to a redline when you smash the pedal.
Your comment about getting the AT transmission was uncalled for and I seriously doubt everyone is face palming. This is my 10th manual car so believe me I know how to drive it. All my other cars were RWD manuals where dumping the clutch at higher than 2000 rpm would result in a standstill wheel spin so I've never done it. This is my first AWD car and was wondering about the threshold of "abuse" a 6mt xdrive drivetrain can sustain. I never asked you for buying tips so please keep those to yourself.