07-11-2014, 02:04 PM   #12
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by sploo View Post
I've got a 2013 F31 330d that has the 225/40 R19 89 Y on the front, and the 255/35 R19 92 Y on the rear. They're pretty wide, and I'm suspecting that the combination of tyre width and engine torque is not exactly going to be great in the snow.

However, most of my driving is between the south (Oxfordshire/Berkshire) and Midlands (Staffordshire) in the UK, and mostly on motorways and dual carriageways. Given that we might get a week or two of snow at worst, and that it can be cool and p*ssing it down in July, or fairly warm and dry in October, I'm wondering if there is really any point in getting some winter wheels and tyres?

If I was going to do it I guess something like a set of cheap 17" steel wheels would be the pragmatic choice, with suitable runflat winter tyres? I found an eBay seller who does 16" steel winter wheels, but they're not compatible with the 330d.
In a Winter like last year, not really i must admit!

But in the average winter yes if you rely on your car most days. A) because you won't get stuck on snowy days B) you'll have greatly reduced risk of losing control in snow/ice/cold & wet roads C) Summer tyres wear faster in cold, and the winter tyres you buy effectively cost you nothing because your summer tyres aren't being worn!
Appreciate 0